By Amy Gorin, MS, RDN
Hello, DIY gifts for friends! These dessert gifts and edible Christmas gifts are the best food gifts to give. Make these DIY gifts for your girlfriend, as well as these homemade gifts for your boyfriend or significant other.
The season of gift giving is here! I love to give gifts as much as I love to receive them. And homemade gifts, including baking gift ideas, add another layer of love.
To make homemade gift giving easy for you, I've put together a list of 30 DIY presents you can easily make from home in minutes and for just a few bucks, too. These baking gifts will truly impress everyone on your gift list.
These DIY healthy food gifts all come from my registered dietitian nutritionist colleagues and I, so they're on the healthier side of things. Don't worry, though, there are quite a few of easy DIY baked goods on this list that taste decadent.
Homemade Gifts in a Jar
So much of homemade gifting is in the packaging. Hello, mason jars! Place homemade nuts, spice mixes, or jams in a jar, and tie with a pretty ribbon. Here are my favorite best food gifts to package up this way.
1. Homemade pizza spice
Talk about a useful edible gift. Simply combine the following and place in a jar: 2 Tablespoons dried oregano, 1 Tablespoon dried basil, 1 Tablespoon dried rosemary, 1 Tablespoon dried onion flakes, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes. Yum!
3. 3-Ingredient Dark Hot Chocolate Mix from Rebecca Clyde, RD, nutrition blogger at Nourish Nutrition
6. Maple Chia Roasted Pecans and Walnuts from Kelly Jones, RD, owner of Kelly Jones Nutrition
7. Gingerbread Glazed Almonds from Marisa Moore, MBA, RDN, owner of Marisa Moore Nutrition
8. Prune Jam from my own kitchen
11. Sweet & Spicy Roasted Almonds from Jennifer Hunt, RDN, nutrition blogger at Healthy Inspiration
12. Spiced Roasted Chickpeas from my own kitchen
15. Healthy Energy Bars from my own kitchen
18. Sweet & Spicy Roasted Almonds from Jennifer Hunt
Homemade Foodie Gifts You Can Wrap
Have a favorite cookie or brownie recipe? Or don't have time to bake and want to package up some tea bags for your coworkers?
Here are great gifting ideas, and all you really need to pull them off is a pretty bag and some ribbon. Your loved ones will love these edible Christmas gifts and DIY gifts for friends.
19. Ribbon Tea Bags
I recently made little goodie bags as favors at a holiday party. Each bag took just seconds to make. I combined a few calming tea bags–a combo of Lipton's Stress Less, Soothe Your Tummy, and Bedtime Bliss–a stick of honey, and some peppermint candies in a holiday bag. My friends loved the treats.
20. Coconut Seed Clusters from Judy Barbe
21. 'Tis the Season Popcorn from Colene Stoernell, RD, owner of CS Nutrition
22. Easy Coffee Cake Muffins from my own kitchen
23. Candied Pistachio Ginger Cups from my own kitchen
24. Apricot Pecan Crisps from Judy Barbe
26. Cinnamon Spice Muffins from my own kitchen
27. Peppermint Brownie Batter Truffles from Stacie Hassing and Jessica Beacom
28. Walnut Avocado Prune Brownies from my own kitchen
29. Easy Chocolate-Covered Oreo Cookies from Rebecca Clyde
30. Almond Pistachio Cocoa Bites from my own kitchen
More Healthy Foodie Gift Ideas
Want even more healthy gift ideas? Here are more perfect gift ideas.
- Pretty cake stand
- Measuring cups
- Gift basket of baking tools
- Cooling racks
- Mixing bowls
- Baking sheets
- Stand mixer
- Rolling pin
- Pretty oven mitt
- A gift box of restaurant gift cards
- Fancy sea salt
- Ice cream maker
- Small batch chocolate
- Jar of maple syrup
- Coffee bath bomb
- Loaf pans
- White chocolate granola
This blog post was updated in October 2020.
- Liz Weiss, RD, author of The Smoothie Bowl Coloring Cookbook
- Rebecca Clyde, RD, nutrition blogger at Nourish Nutrition
- Stephanie Van't Zelfden, RDN, author of Make-Ahead Baby Food Cookbook
- Kara Lydon, RD, author of Nourish Your Namaste
- Kelly Jones, RD, owner of Kelly Jones Nutrition
- Marisa Moore, MBA, RDN, owner of Marisa Moore Nutrition