These berry pancakes with a wild blueberry reduction sauce are sure to satisfy. Love the idea of protein pancakes without protein powder? Get ready for a happy morning in the form of lemon blueberry ricotta pancakes.
Ready for a delicious morning? You may want to make extra of the berry reduction pancake sauce, because that's one delicious blueberry pancake topping you're about to whip up!
How about a mouth-watering, antioxidant-filled wild blueberry pancakes breakfast that's guaranteed to make your tastebuds smile? Fork into these fluffy blueberry pancakes!
Thanks to the folks at Wild Blueberries of North America for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions are my own!
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and I'm always looking for new recipes to whip up—especially for the weekend when I have more time and can enjoy a leisurely meal. Of course, as a dietitian, I love to create recipes like this blueberry lemon pancake recipe that are as good for your health as they are tasty!
I've been wanting to create a ricotta pancake recipe for awhile now, and what better way to sweeten those healthy fluffy pancakes than with antioxidant-filled wild blueberries? These easy blueberry pancakes went super quickly in my house, and I bet they will in your as well!
Why You Should Make These Easy Ricotta Pancakes
Are you already a fan of wild blueberries? I cook with them a lot, and not just in these blueberry flapjacks with a blueberry topping for pancakes! In fact, I recently I've whipped up:
- wild blueberry mini cakes
- blueberry nice cream
- wild blueberry peanut butter smoothie
- appetizer with blueberries
- lavender smoothie
Wild blueberries offer more than twice the antioxidants of cultivated blueberries, and they get their blue-purple color from anthocyanins. These are antioxidants that help your health in a number of ways, including helping brain health and even helping to safeguard athletes from illness following intense exercise.
How to Make Blueberry Pancakes
To make this wild blueberry ricotta pancake recipe, I combined part-skim ricotta cheese with lemon juice, wild blueberries, and a few other dry ingredients including baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Who can say no to that berry lemon combo? While there's no lemon zest in this recipe, there's lemon juice that provides a delightful citrus flavor.
The really awesome thing is that each serving of these lemon ricotta pancakes boasts a 1/2 cup of wild blueberries! And you won't find any egg whites in this recipe. You get the whole egg for all the protein and other nutrition you'll find in the yolks. There's also water in this recipe, a little over 1/4 cup, so you get hydration too! Then I cooked up the pancake batter until golden brown. They are so delicious.
Instead of doing the traditional pancakes and maple syrup (or powdered sugar) combo, I decided to top off the berry pancakes with a wild blueberry sauce.
I whipped up the blueberry pancake topping by heating wild blueberries with water and a little sugar and corn starch. While this blueberry reduction sauce is awesome on top of these healthy ricotta pancakes, I'm here to tell you that it would also taste amazing on top of French toast or even grilled tofu or salmon!
I can't wait to hear if you love these blueberry ricotta pancakes as much as I do!
I'd love to hear from you! Let me know if you whip up these berry pancakes with a blueberry reduction sauce. Comment below, or tag @amydgorin on Instagram and Pinterest and @amygorin on Twitter and Facebook.
Healthy Ricotta Berry Pancakes with a Wild Blueberry Reduction Sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup + 1 ½ Tablespoons sugar, divided
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups frozen wild blueberries, divided
- Spray oil
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
How to cook Healthy Ricotta Berry Pancakes with a Wild Blueberry Reduction Sauce
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, 1 ½ Tablespoons sugar, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together ricotta, milk, lemon juice, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the ricotta mixture, stirring gently until just combined. Fold in 1 cup of frozen wild blueberries.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick pan over medium-high heat; coat lightly with spray oil. Using a ¼ cup measure, pour batter onto the hot griddle. Cook the berry pancakes until the undersides are golden; flip and cook until other side is golden. Repeat with the remaining pancakes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine remaining frozen wild blueberries with water and remaining sugar.
- Heat over medium-high heat, and bring to a low boil.
- Stir in cornstarch; turn heat down to medium and simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens to desired consistency. If the blueberry reduction sauce gets too thick, one Tablespoon water at a time.
- Serve sauce over pancakes.
Sat. Fat (grams)4
Did you make this recipe?
Don't forget to sign up for my newsletter to get weekly updates delivered straight to your inbox!