Medically reviewed by Amy Gorin, MS, RDN
Here's a dairy free ice cream recipe you can whip up in minutes. This chocolate nice cream is super indulgent yet has no added sugar. Enjoy this banana nice cream today!
How to make dairy-free ice cream? I'm about to tell you how. This banana nice cream recipe is so delicious and healthy. And you can whip up a batch of this chocolate banana nice cream in just minutes.
Love a good 'ol chocolate ice cream cone? Well, here's a sweet dessert with no added sugar and a whole lot of vitamins and minerals. This dairy-free ice cream recipe is super easy to make and requires almost no cooking know-how.
I eat so many bananas that my fiance jokingly calls me a monkey. Bananas are just so versatile and convenient. I can slice one and add it to my morning Greek yogurt parfait, and I can easily stick one in my bag for an afternoon snack.
And heck, I can even freeze bananas and turn them into fruit-based ice cream.
Why Nice Cream is the Way to Go
I like ice cream a lot. My go-to is mint chocolate chip—it’s so delicious! I also love coconut ice cream. I tend to not keep any ice cream in the house, though, because that would be super tempting. So when I want a scoop, I walk to the ice cream store down the street.
While I love hitting up my neighborhood ice cream shop, I’ve recently enjoyed making my own fruit-based ice cream.
It's typically a frozen fruit-based dessert (try tossing frozen sliced bananas in a food processor—it’s delicious) and it sometimes includes dairy, like Greek yogurt. Or it may have a be coconut based and be made with coconut milk
Nice cream is a healthier alternative to ice cream: A ½ cup serving of chocolate ice cream has 143 calories, but most fruit-based ice creams have many less calories. Plus, many fruit-based ice creams contain no fat.
Fruit-based frozen treats are growing in popularity, with almost 45% of U.S. consumers
saying they’re buying non-dairy frozen treats, per a survey by research firm Mintel.
How to Make Dairy-Free Banana Ice Cream
When I want a dessert with a similar texture to ice cream, I use my food processor or a powerful blender to whip up a fruit-based version. You don't need a fancy ice cream maker!
For this chocolate banana nice cream, I made a really simple, yet delicious, frozen fruit ice cream with frozen banana slices and unsweetened cocoa powder.
I love using unsweetened cocoa powder as a sweetener because it's naturally sweet so contains no added sugar—yet provides a whole lot of antioxidants.
How Healthy is Nice Cream?
The really good news? Each serving of this dairy-free chocolate ice cream contains just 110 calories and has no fat! Plus, it's dairy free, which makes it great if you're lactose intolerant.
The bananas in this vegan chocolate ice cream provide a lot of nutrition, offering blood-pressure-helping potassium, as well as cholesterol-helping fiber. Plus, eating this alternative ice cream counts toward your daily servings of fruit.
I often eat my dairy-free ice cream plain. But you can also add toppings of dried fruit, or even a sprinkle of unsweetened cocoa powder or dried edible flowers, if you'd like.
How to make vegan banana chocolate ice cream? Making this chocolate banana nice cream is pretty easy!
More Dairy-Free Ice Cream Recipes
One of the best things about fruit-based cream is there are so many different ways to enjoy it!
To help bring the trend to your kitchen, I’ve compiled a list of more of my favorite ice cream alternatives.
Many of these soft-serve favorites are made with a berry or banana ice cream flavor. If you'd like a little extra sweetness, add a drizzle of maple syrup, a scoop of peanut butter, or a sprinkle of coconut sugar on top. I hope you enjoy the delicious ice cream!
Nice Cream Recipes
- Wild Blueberry Nice Cream from my kitchen
- Banana Fudge Vegan Ice Cream from Lauren Harris-Pincus, MS, RDN, author of The Protein-Packed Breakfast Club
- Cinnamon Banana Ice Cream from Stephanie May, RD
- Mango Mint Frozen Yogurt from Christy Wilson, RDN, culinary dietitian and owner of Christy Wilson Nutrition
- Cantaloupe Banana Nice Cream from my kitchen
- Peaches & Cream Pop from Tammy Lakatos Shames, RDN, CDN, CFT and Lyssie Lakatos, RDN, CDN, CFT, co-authors of The Nutrition Twins’ Veggie Cure
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Yogurt Pops from Lauren Pendergast, RDN, a dietitian in Jersey City, NJ
- Fruity FroYo Popsicles from Ann Dunaway Teh, MS, RDN and Lesley Baradel, MBA, MS, RDN, co-owners of My Menu Pal
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This blog post was updated in June 2020. A version of this content originally appeared on WeightWatchers.com.
I'd love to hear from you! Let me know what you think when you whip this chocolate nice cream. What are your favorite ice cream and sorbet toppings?
Chocolate Banana Nice Cream
How to cook Chocolate Banana Nice Cream
- Place bananas and cocoa powder in a food processor or high-speed blender. Process or blend until completely smooth, pausing if necessary to push the ingredients toward the bottom of the processor or blender.
- Serve immediately.
Sat. Fat (grams)0
Did you make this recipe?
- Ice Cream Insights and Consumer Perceptions: 3 Trends Impacting the U.S. Market, Mintel.com
- Lauren Harris-Pincus, MS, RDN, author of The Protein-Packed Breakfast Club
- Stephanie May, RD
- Christy Wilson, RDN, culinary dietitian and owner of Christy Wilson Nutrition
- Chrissy Carroll, RD, author of Dairy-Free Cookbook for Beginners
- Tammy Lakatos Shames, RDN, CDN, CFT and Lyssie Lakatos, RDN, CDN, CFT, co-authors of The Nutrition Twins’ Veggie Cure
- Lauren Pendergast, RDN, a dietitian in Jersey City, NJ
- Ann Dunaway Teh, MS, RDN and Lesley Baradel, MBA, MS, RDN, co-owners of My Menu Pal
Find this post helpful? At no additional cost to you, support the maintenance of running this site by using my Amazon affiliate links to shop. Thank you!