By Amy Gorin, MS, RDN
Have a whole bunch of brown bananas in your kitchen, or even bananas with black spots? Try these tasty ripe banana recipes to make use of each and every brown banana.
I always seem to have at least a few brown bananas on my countertop. Are you with me?
There's no need to let them go to waste. The fruit is packed with fiber and naturally sweet flavors that are delicious for breakfast, dessert, or snacktime.
Looking for healthy-cooking inspiration? I've got 40-plus recipes for banana bread, chocolate chip muffins, chocolate banana ice cream, banana pudding, and more!
Brown Banana Breakfast Recipes
On their own, bananas with dark spots–those unsightly black spots or brown spots–aren't so attractive. But they sure can make tasty breakfast delights. Eating bananas was never to scrumptious.
Go ahead and try these peanut butter banana creations and more from myself and my registered dietitian nutritionist colleagues. I've even got chocolate chip banana combos for you!
3. Sunrise Orange Muffins from my own kitchen
6. Healthy Coffee Smoothie from my own kitchen
8. Healthy Avocado Smoothie from my own kitchen
11. Green Banana Mint Pancakes from Laura Yautz
13. Banana Almond Mango Overnight Oats in a Jar from my own kitchen
15. Whole-Wheat Yogurt Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips from Sarah Gold Anzolar
19. High-Protein Vanilla Smoothie from my own kitchen
22. Strawberry Basil Protein Smoothie from Megan Byrd
25. Healthy Green Muffins from my own kitchen
26. Orange Strawberry Smoothie from my own kitchen
31. Wild Blueberry Peanut Butter Smoothie from my own kitchen
32. Microwave Banana Oatmeal from Anne Mauney
33. Coconut and Mandarin Orange Vegan Smoothie Bowl from my own kitchen
Brown Banana Dessert Recipes
What else can you do with spotted bananas? Um, how about banana cake made with ripe bananas, as well as banana ice cream? Just wait till your banana ripens, then get baking!
34. Wild Blueberry Nice Cream from my own kitchen
36. No-Added-Sugar Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies from Shahzadi Devje
37. Baked Banana Donuts from Rosanne Rust
38. Chocolate Banana Nice Cream from my own kitchen
41. Sweet Rice with Berries from my own kitchen
42. Vegan Chocolate Dairy-Free Pudding from my own kitchen
43. Creamy Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream from Elizabeth Ward
44. Banana Cantaloupe Ice Cream with Pistachio from my own kitchen
Want even more recipes for cooking with overripe bananas? I share the best and most delicious ways to add the fruit to recipes in my EverydayHealth.com post.
This blog post was updated in August 2020.
- Marisa Moore, RD, owner of Marisa Moore Nutrition
- Julie Kay Andrews, RD, nutrition blogger at The Gourmet RD
- Allison Speck Walker, RD, nutrition blogger at I Rock Health
- Laura Yautz, RD, nutrition blogger at Being Nutritious
- Christie Gagnon, RD, nutrition blogger at Hoorah to Health
- Sarah Gold Anzolar, RD, owner of Sarah Gold Nutrition
- Bonnie Taub-Dix, RD, author of Read it Before You Eat it
- Dara Garau, RD, food blogger at How to Eat
- Edwina Clark, RD, owner of Edwina Clark Nutrition
- Karman Meyer, RD, author of Eat to Sleep
- Shahzadi Devje, RD, owner of Desilicious RD
- Alena Kharlamenko, MS, RD, owner of Alena Kharlamenko Nutrition and Wellness
- Megan Byrd, RD, nutrition blogger at The Oregon Dietitian
- Kelsey Lorencz, RD, nutrition blogger at Eating with Heart
- Rosanne Rust, RD, author of DASH Diet for Two
- Shannon Garcia, RD, owner of Kiss in the Kitchen
- Leah Forristall, RD, food blogger at Simply Nutrition
- Melissa Mitri, RD, owner of Melissa Mitri Nutrition
- Anne Mauney, RD, nutrition blogger at Fannetastic Food
- Brittany Poulson, RD, author of The Healthy Family Cookbook
- Sarah Pflugardt, RD, owner of Sarah Pflugardt Nutrition
- Elizabeth Ward, MS, RD, author of Expect the Best
- Josten Fish, RD, food blogger at Muscle & Manna
- 17 Creative Ways to Cook or Bake With Brown Bananas, EverydayHealth.com
Find this post helpful? At no additional cost to you, support the maintenance of running this site by using my Amazon affiliate links to shop. This blog post may contain affiliate you!
I'd love to hear from you! What are your favorite things to make with brown bananas?
Want to go shopping with a dietitian? Here's your chance! I just opened up my very own storefront, full of my fave tip sheets, cookbooks, kitchen products, and more!
Also check out my Etsy shop! Use code 10PERCENT for 10% off!