By Amy Gorin, MS, RDN
This vegan hummus pizza with mushrooms is the best vegan pita pizza you'll ever have! Get the recipe for the mini pizza today. If you enjoy hummus pizza on pita, it's for you!
Love hummus and pita? Or maybe you're a pizza with onions fan? Either way, this vegan pita pizza is delicious, full of veggies, and easy to make. It's a white pizza recipe with a delicious mushroom mixture topping!
This vegan pita pizza is sure to jazz up your next get together. This hummus pita pizza will also make a stellar afternoon snack!
Disclosure: This blog post was sponsored by Sabra. All opinions are my own, of course (and as always)!
As a vegetarian, hummus ends up being a pretty big staple in my diet. I often pair it with grape tomatoes and sliced veggies for a satisfying snack.
While this stand-by is tasty, I've recently been thinking up new, innovative ways to use the ingredient. So I came up with pita hummus pizza idea. The pizza with hummus is pretty simple to make and combines a bunch of my favorite ingredients.
Did I mention this white pizza is super yummy, too? The beauty of making pita bread pizzas is you don't need any pizza dough or cooking spray.
How to Top a Hummus Pizza
Mushrooms are one of my favorite foods on the planet, so I had to add some to this pita pizza. To make this vegan pita pizza, I sautéed up some shiitake slices and also caramelized onions, roasted some pine nuts, and heated grape tomatoes for toppings. The final finishing touch? Fresh oregano.
I have to say my creation is delish. And with Super Bowl Sunday around the corner, I'm thinking I'll make these for a game-day get together with friends.
If you want to add some non-vegan ingredients to the pizza, you could go with ricotta cheese or fresh mozzarella for a cheese pizza. I would wait until the cheese is melted to add the sauteed veggies.
Here are additional vegan topping ideas:
- red onion
- sun dried tomatoes
- artichoke hearts
- fresh basil
- red pepper flakes
Why the Mini Pizzas are Healthy
Bonus: These mini pizzas are great to serve during Heart Health Month, since they're heart healthy, according to the guidelines set forth by the American Heart Association.
Each portion (half a hummus and pita pizza) is low in both sodium and saturated fat and provides 3 grams of fiber, 12% of the daily value.
More Healthy Pizza Ideas
Love vegetarian pizza ideas? Also try:
And if you're looking for another hummus recipe to love, try my hummus toast.
Ready to make super-delicious pita pizzas? This recipe doesn't contain cheese and pepperoni–it's even better!
Let me know if you make this pizza that's vegan with mushrooms and onions. What other toppings will you add to your hummus pita pizza? What's your favorite way to enjoy hummus?
Vegan Hummus Pizza with Mushrooms & Onion
- 6 4-inch whole-wheat pitas
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ large Vidalia onion, sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 3 Tbsp. fresh oregano, torn
- ¾ cup Sabra Classic Hummus, divided
- Preheat the oven to 250 ° F .
- Place pita bread on non-stick baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat ¼ cup water in a small pan over medium-high heat. Add onion slices; spread onions evenly in the pan, stirring occasionally, 5-6 minutes. Once the liquid is absorbed and the onions begin to brown, stir frequently until they're caramelized. Set aside.
- In a small pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add mushroom slices, stirring occasionally. Once mushrooms are almost cooked through, about 5-6 minutes, add tomatoes. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, increase oven temperature to 350 ° F.
- Place pine nuts on baking sheet and toast 8-10 minutes, tossing once.
- Spread each pita with 2 Tablespoons hummus, then top with onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Add pine nuts and oregano.
- Slice pizzas, and enjoy.
Sat. Fat (grams)1
Did you make this recipe?
- The American Heart Association
Find this post helpful? At no additional cost to you, support the maintenance of running this site by using my Amazon affiliate links to shop. Thank you!
Want to go shopping with a dietitian? Here's your chance! I just opened up my very own storefront, full of my fave tip sheets, cookbooks, kitchen products, and more!
Also check out my Etsy shop! Use code 10PERCENT for 10% off!