By Amy Gorin, MS, RDN
Looking for low-sugar desserts, including low-sugar sweets and low-sugar treats? These desserts for diabetics offer so many tasty options!
Have a sweet tooth but don't want to overdo it on sugar? Looking for a new favorite low-sugar dessert? This list of the best low-carb desserts will do the trick!
been surrounded by chocolate cake. Yup. I've been baking up wedding cake and birthday cake. There's so much cake in our house!
While I love a good slice of cake, especially the drizzle icing, I also have a such a sweet tooth that I'd typically much rather have lower-carb sweet treats so my cravings don't go into overdrive.
And of course, I'm always wanting to avoid that post-dessert sugar slump. You may also have a medical condition, such as type 2 diabetes, or be following a specific diet that lends itself to low-carb desserts.
For your next birthday blowout, dinner party, or just-because treat, add a few of these lower-sugar desserts to the treat table. I'm giving you more than two dozen low-sugar sweets to choose from!
Many of them contain ingredients, such as nut butter and almond flour, that will help stabilize your blood sugar levels.
Looking for more healthy entertaining recipes?
Surprisingly Low-Carb Desserts
Yes, even cheesecakes, cookies, and pudding can be made low carb! My go-to low-sugar dessert recipe is included in this Everyday Health article, and I can't wait to try the other dietitian-approved desserts.
You can still eat your cream cheese, peanut butter chocolate chip, and pumpkin pie desserts!
In fact, many of them use simple ingredients such as Greek yogurt, dark chocolate, sea salt, and maple syrup that tend to be better dessert choices for people with diabetes.
Mouthwatering Low-Carb Brownie Recipes
While standard brownies rely on sugar and butter to yield that melt-in-your-mouth texture, these healthier alternatives do the trick, too.
By adding in creamy healthy fats like almond butter and avocado, you'll find ultra-moist, lower-sugar sweet treats (including a go to low-sugar dessert!) on this Everyday Health list that also happen to provide a slew of extra nutrients, such as several grams of protein.
Amy's No-Sugar Dessert Recipe
Make this treat: Almond Butter Protein
When you need a small piece of something sweet to help you get through the work day, turn to my chewy energy balls.
These bite-sized, chocolatey treats offer plenty of protein, fiber, and healthy fat to keep you full until your next meal—all in just 180 calories per treat. They make a healthy snack or dessert.
Bonus Low-Sugar Dessert Recipes
You all have been asking for more low-sugar dessert recipes. So here you go! These picks are from my registered dietitian colleagues and they are all super delicious and satisfying.
- Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookies from my own kitchen
- Keto Chocolate Avocado Pudding from Lyssie Lakatos RDN, CFT and Tammy Lakatos Shames, RDN, CFT, co-authors of The Nutrition Twins' Veggie Cure
- Chocolate Mocha Ice Cream from Melissa Altman-Traub, MS, RDN
- Maple Pecan Baked Pears from Brittany Poulson, MDA, RDN, CDCES, author of The Healthy Family Cookbook
- Carrot and White Bean Vegan Blondies from Lizzie Streit, MS, RDN, nutrition blogger at It's a Veg World After All
- Dairy-Free Orange Cake from my own kitchen
- Half-Baked Greek Yogurt Cheesecake from Chelsea Jackle, MFN, RDN, nutrition blogger at Chelsea Dishes
- Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough from my own kitchen
- Fruit Pizza with Oat & Almond Butter Crust from Leanne Ray, MS, RDN, founder of Leanne Ray Nutrition
- Grilled Peaches with Cinnamon and Pecans from Diane Norwood, MS, RDN, CDCES, nutrition blogger at The Wandering RD
- Wild Blueberry Lemon Nice Cream from my own kitchen
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal No-Bake Cookies from Alena Kharlamenko, MS, RD, owner of Alena Menko Nutrition
- Peanut Butter No-Egg Cookies from my own kitchen
- Chocolate Chickpea Peanut Butter Ice Pops from Theresa Gentile, MS, RDN, nutrition blogger at Theresa Gentile RD
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Avocado Brownies from my own kitchen
This blog post was updated in July 2020.
- 9 Surprisingly Low-Carb Desserts for People With Type 2 Diabetes,
- 8 Mouthwatering Brownie Recipes for People With Diabetes,
- Mangoes and Cream Popsicles from Laura Yautz, RD, owner of Being Nutritious
- Lyssie Lakatos RDN, CFT and Tammy Lakatos Shames, RDN, CFT, co-authors of The Nutrition Twins' Veggie Cure
- Melissa Altman-Traub, MS, RDN
- Brittany Poulson, MDA, RDN, CDCES, author of The Healthy Family Cookbook
- Lizzie Streit, MS, RDN, nutrition blogger at It's a Veg World After All
- Shahzadi Devje, RD, CDE, MSc, owner of Desi~licious RD
- Kara Lydon RD, LYT, owner of The Foodie Dietitian
- Jennifer Hunt, RD, owner of Jennifer Hunt Nutrition
- Katrina Detter, RD, nutrition blogger at Live Better with Kat Detter
- Vahista Ussery, MS, MBA, RDN at To Taste
- Chelsea Jackle, MFN, RDN, nutrition blogger at Chelsea Dishes
- Sarah Gold, RD, owner of Sarah Gold Nutrition
- Liz Weiss, MS, RDN, co-author of No Whine with Dinner
- Sarah Schlichter, MPH, RDN, owner of Bucket List Tummy
- Mary Ellen Phipps, RD, author of The Easy Diabetes Cookbook
- Leanne Ray, MS, RDN, founder of Leanne Ray Nutrition
- Josten Fish, RD, nutrition blogger at Muscle and Manna
- Diane Norwood, MS, RDN, CDCES, nutrition blogger at The Wandering RD
- Alena Kharlamenko, MS, RD, owner of Alena Menko Nutrition
- Anne Danahy, RD, author of The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook for Two
- Ginger Hultin, MS, RDN, CSO, owner of Champagne Nutrition
- Kacie Barnes, MCN, RDN, nutrition blogger at Mama Knows Nutrition
- Theresa Gentile, MS, RDN, nutrition blogger at Theresa Gentile RD
Find this post helpful? At no additional cost to you, support the maintenance of running this site by using my Amazon affiliate links to shop. This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you!
What's your favorite low sugar dessert? Which of these low-carb sweet treats are you going to try first? What other diabetes friendly desserts and low sugar snacks do you enjoy?
Want to go shopping with a dietitian? Here's your chance! I just opened up my very own storefront, full of my fave tip sheets, cookbooks, kitchen products, and more!
Also check out my Etsy shop! Use code 10PERCENT for 10% off!